|Original Tullsta Chair from Ikea|
The chair's simple legs were natural with just a glass finish. I knew from the start I would stain them and I finally got around to it. It was a pretty easy project - even for a staining rookie like myself.
First, I used my new Black and Decker sander to remove the finish on the legs. You can see the difference between the legs here - the one on the right has been sanded, while the other hasn't.
Once the stain was dry I finished them off with a layer of polyurethane. That just seals the finish and makes it look extra shiny.
That's it - now just re-attach the legs and you're done with a chair that looks like a distant cousin from the original version.
That's the beauty of Ikea - so cheap and so easy to make your own.