For one, she wants them to have matching Halloween costumes. Fortunately, my daughter wants to wear the witch costume my mom made me when I was her age - so put a big ol' check next to that because I don't have to do anything but show up with some green face paint. Since I figured my mom did all the work on that one, I agreed to make her American Doll a matching witch costume.
I picked up some black felt and just kinda went at it with no real plan. Well, I lie, I had a plan...my plan was to just wing it and call it a day because as if it's not bad enough that the real kids only wear their Hallowen costumes once, now my kids wants a one-day-only outfit for her doll.
Okay so I started out by using the dress Rebecca came in as a "pattern." By that I mean I just laid it out on top of the felt and cut around it.
After I cut the first one out, I used it as a pattern to make a duplicate. One for the front, one for the back. I laid them exactly on top of each other and cut out a scoop for the neck. (Please excuse the lint...I've been up to my eyeballs in burlap lately and it's taking over worse than the stink bugs!)
I pinned them together and started sewing. Just remember when you sew them together only to sew up and down the sleeve (but not the opening), stop at the neckline, and don't sew the bottom together.
Once it was sewn together, I flipped it inside out. I then cut a slice down the back of the neck. This was simply to allow the doll's head to fit through. You could add a snap or a hook and eye, I just left it and let the cape cover most of the opening.
At this point I tried it on the American Girl Doll to ensure it fit. Success! I cuffed the sleeves and fringed the bottom edge to make it more 'witchy.' Then I added a piece of orange felt as a little detail around the center of the dress. I used spray adhesive to attach the belt....but sewing it or hot glue would work, too.
Then I made a little cape to match the one that my daughter will wear. To make the cape, I simply laid a piece of fabric around the doll's neck and marked where it would meet at the front. Then I cut it in a semi circle and again cut out a scoop for the neck.
I fringed the bottom edge of this too. I sewed on velcro to keep the cape closed in the front.
I also added a few accessories to complete the costume. I had picked up a doll witch hat for less than $1.50. I planned on leaving it all black, but ended up blinging it out a little with small orange felt bow. I just hot glued it on.
With a small piece of extra orange felt, simply folded in half, I also made a treat bag. I used a sharpie marker to draw the pumpkin face on the fabric.
Now for the Candy Corn dress...
I was inspired by Diana Rambles adorable American Girl Candy Corn dress as soon as I saw it. It's just too cute. So the last time I was at the fabric store I grabbed a few rectangles of pre-cut felt to make one.
I started by cutting each of the three rectangles in half length-wise.
Then I lined them all up white top top, then orange and yellow and sewed them all together down the side. I should have sewn straight across first, but live and learn.
Once the three pieces were one big piece I planned to wrap it around the doll. However, it was too short to go all the way around. I used some extra orange and sewed it to one side of the candy corn front piece. Then I wrapped it around the doll and pinned to see exactly where the other side should be sewn to fit. The orange piece was now the back. I slid the dress off and sewed down before trimmed off the extra.
I added a piece of ribbon at the top center of the front so it could tie around the doll's neck like a halter top. This really just keep the dress on.
And that's it...now my Miss Olivia and her Miss Rebecca are all ready for Halloween!
Thanks for stopping by 2IY! If you like what you see, we'd love for you to pin it!